Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, December 07, 2004
A Song to Sing By
At home last night found the held mail carefully stacked on the porch table. After disposing of half in the wastebasket and putting the first Christmas cards up, I dug into the two boxes from Amazon.co.uk which contained something for James, the second series of All Creatures Great and Small (it has the Christmas episode "Merry Gentlemen" in it), the widescreen version of 84 Charing Cross Road, and the last series of The Good Life; we watched "Merry Gentlemen" and the first three Good Life episodes later.

As I used the "secret region hack" to change the DVD player to Region 2. James asked curiously why I didn't just keep it on Region 0 ("bypass," as it's known on our unit).

Good question. I think I had it on "bypass" at one point and a couple of my Region 1s wouldn't play, my old version of The Andromeda Strain being one of them. (The new version plays fine on that setting.) So I tried different Region 1 and 2 versions until I was satisfied it was good in general. (I can always change it if I have a problem.)

The final DVD I tested was The Secret of NIMH, skipping through scenes to get to the credits where Paul Williams sings the theme song, "Flying Dreams." James and I fell in love with this song when the movie came out. I used to sing it to my budgie Sylvester. It's why our APAzine and our website is named "Flying Dreams." It's the song we danced to at our wedding reception in RI. So we stood there and cuddled as it played, reliving a lot of nice memories.