Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, December 03, 2004
The End of This Part of the Story
We had a quiet day. While Mom was at radiation, I did some things to help her. She's been having trouble operating the DVD player, so I color-coded some of the buttons for her. She's also been struggling with the portable TV in the kitchen; she doesn't have cable and this thing has a useless "power" antenna that barely gets the local stations--and it has one of those stupid round UHF antennas on it to boot. (Found out one of the problems right away; it was set for "cable" instead of "antenna.")

So after she got home we went to Radio Shack to get a regular set of rabbit ears and a bow-tie antenna for the UHF. I used to get a dozen stations with that combination; the silly thing she has now barely gets three. We also had some keys made and I bought her an "Ove glove." She cooks a lot with her toaster oven and uses a clumsy oven mitt. The Ove glove is Kevlar and very flexible. We also stopped at Garden City Shopping Center for some chocolates and then had hot cocoa and pumpkin bread at Starbuck's.

After our errands we visited some of my relatives: my Aunty Margaret and Uncle Johnny. They were, as usual, at my Uncle Guido's house, which used to be my grandfather's house. Right now Uncle Guido is at a nursing home after a fall, but is supposed to come home soon. We caught them half-napping, but talked for about an hour about various family events, and my Uncle Ralph, who lives next door, stopped over. We would have stopped to see my Aunty Lisa, but she doesn't sleep well any longer because of leg pain, and was trying to nap.

We had supper at Chinese and, before and after, got things packed and mostly in the car. James made tea for the trip. All we have left to load tomorrow is the small suitcase, the toiletries, the laptop, the "black bag" (which has the cameras and Willow's extra towel and goes wherever it fits), "Fred the traveling pillow," the animals, and ourselves. I can't believe we fit all those books in the car! Willow was not happy with all the packing. After six years with us she's still afraid we're going to abandon her.

Finally we could sit down and relax and watch The House Without a Christmas Tree.