Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, November 12, 2004
Friday Five

1) Realistically, where do you think you'll be five years from now? What job will you be working, will you have family/friends/pets, where will you be living and how?

I suspect I'll have the same job; I've got 19 years invested in Government service and really can't afford to give it up. Hope I have the same family, friends and pets, although Willow will be a little senior citizen dog by then! The one important thing that will be missing is my mom. I don't expect the cancer will ever back off. I've got several members of the family under chemotherapy now.

2) Unrealistically, given a perfect life, where do you want to be five years from now?

LOL. Are we dreaming? We both want a house in New Hampshire, where it stays cool longer.

3) What's the big barrier keeping number one and two separate and distinct, or is there one?

There aren't jobs in the Northeast in our fields and a position would have to be high-paying, due to the taxes up there (my mom, on a smaller piece of property, is paying more than four times the taxes we have here); if there were, at our age it's more difficult to be hired (even though they say there's no age discrimination). Mostly it's medical insurance. There aren't many affordable medical plans for people with pre-existing conditions, especially for someone like me, who has already had cancer once.

4) Utterly and completely abandoning realism, make up where you'll be in five years. Alien abductions and portals to alternate universes are encouraged.

Still in the house in New Hampshire. It's got a big bay window for the Christmas tree, a nice hobby area for James--oh, and a runway because he wants a Cessna Citation. I could finish my children's book and try to get it published. We could go abroad for several months--I'd love to see Ischia where my mother's parents were born--and then purchase a motor home and travel around the US and Canada.

5) Where did you believe you'd be now, five years ago? Pick a crucial event of the past five years and tell us where you’d be now if it had been different.

I hoped I would still be doing support work. I enjoy doing support work--typing, keeping lists, making appointments (filing's a pain in the neck, but nothing's perfect)--and I didn't realize I'd be transferred to another job without warning three years ago when I was out on medical leave. I've had a couple of interviews, but nothing panned out, and now the support work in general is going to the contract employees. Life happens...