Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, October 19, 2004
Tuesday Twosome

Health...

1. Do you take vitamins and if so, what?


I take a multiple women's vitamin and a potassium suppliment (last checkup my potassium was low) once a day, and a soy isoflavones tablet tablet twice a day (the women's vitamin also has a small portion of soy isoflavones) to help with the hot flashes.

2. Do you make an effort to eat healthy, or you eat whatever you feel like eating?

I try--and James makes dishes with onions, mushrooms, carrots and celery in it to help--but I'm not much of a vegetable eater. I like salad vegetables, the ones named above (well, mushrooms aren't a veg, but you known what I mean), sweet corn, and butternut squash and that's about it. I will eat peas, but only if they're fresh in the pod. Never have liked squishy cooked peas. James is the "veggie monster." He likes everything except collard greens and cauliflower.

3. What two types of food do you have a hard time staying away from?

Dark chocolate anything and bread. (There was an SF button that was very popular years ago that said "Migratory lifeform with a tropism for books." I have a button that says "Migratory Italian lifeform with a tropism for bread.")

4. What are two food items you refuse to eat?

Only two? :-) Spinach and cauliflower.

5. Are you pleased with your daily diet or do you think it could be better?

It's gotten better since James' diabetes diagnosis (but I know could be better). We never ate big desserts before, especially big sloppy ones dripping with icing (ugh...I hate sugary "ick" on things) but now the after-dinner treat iis a small sugar-free Blue Bunny ice cream bar. I'm having oatmeal for breakfast and now that we have the apple peeler we have apples for treats if we get hungry. I have a quarter of a cup of nuts when I get home from work instead of a slice of bread. (I can do that now since the Protonix keeps me from getting indigestion from the nuts.)

I never did get an appetite for sugary stuff. The only sweet I was allowed as a kid was chocolate--no rock candy or candy sticks, things like that. (There was the occasional Life Saver or Reed's spearmint candy, and I did used to sneak candy buttons occasionally when I had a few cents at the superette, but I preferred Squirrel Nuts and Mint Juleps if I was buying penny candy.) Mom cut down sugar in all her recipes (her wine biscuit recipe only has 2/3 cup of sugar, for example; the original recipe had 1 cup) and she never frosted her cakes. So now when I see people eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts with all that sugar icing or Danish I get a little queasy! As a kid I picked raisins from oatmeal cookies because I thought they were much too sweet (same thing with commercial apple pie filling; I preferred the crust). My big problem has always been starch: specifically Italian and French bread. I've been known to prefer a nice warm chunk of Garzilli's Italian bread (alas, no longer made), strictly plain (not even buttered), to a piece of chocolate cake.