Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, October 07, 2004
Thursday Threesome

::Wild Blue Yonder!::

Onesome: Wild-- Whoa! ...wild times lately! Florida and neighboring states have been blown away; the Northeast has been deluged; California is shakin' again; and the Pacific Northwest is getting ready to erupt. Okay, what's too wild for you? What will you live with and what do you want to stay far, far away from?

This is funny; James and I were discussing this last night, about how every part of the country seems to have a downfall weatherwise. (Earthquakes and volcanoes aren't weather, though; maybe the descriptive is "natural" downfall.) I've been from one end of this country to the other and pretty much north and south; I still prefer a cooler climate even if it does have snow in the winter. I've never been good with heat--I remember all those sleepless summer nights lying upside down in the bed hoping for a breeze from one of the two windows--and it's worse now because of the hot flashes. As I get older, I'm also having more and more trouble breathing when it's too warm; yesterday there was no A/C in my office (which is about the size of our den with six people and six computers all giving off heat) and trying to breathe without some sort of air circulating was difficult.

So, yeah, I'd prefer to take my chances with the nor'easters and the occasional hurricane (Northeast) than tornadoes and floods (Southest) or earthquakes and mud slides and wildfires (California) or tornadoes and more tornadoes and blizzards (Midwest) or hurricanes and giant bugs (Florida).

On the other hand, I don't really have a choice. One needs a job and you have to be where the jobs are. Luckily good friends come along with the combo.

Twosome: Blue-- Blue Delft? Off the wall: What color are your day to day dishes. ...and does anyone in this crowd have some really nice stuff you like to break out for the upcoming holiday dinners?

Actually, we're still using the same stoneware set I got from Zayre's when I moved into an apartment on my own. We also have smaller plastic plates (Rubbermaid made some great small plastic plates at one time, but we're down to only two of them) so that we eat smaller portions. I've thought about getting new dishes, but it's not a priority.

Thank God I don't know any snooty people who actually care if I have good china or not! All we care about when getting together is having a good time, not critiquing what each other owns.

I think I get this from my mom. She got "good china" as a wedding gift. We always ate off plain white porcelain plates. The china's still in the attic, in a brown box tied with twine. I asked her a couple of years back what the dishes actually looked like. She said she didn't remember! I suppose next time we're there, since it will be cool enough to trek into the attic, I ought to go up and look. Now that I think of it, I seem to remember that once when I was a teenager I did untie the string and look at the dishes. I'm pretty sure they have roses on them, which would follow: they're Mom's favorite flowers.

Threesome: Yonder-- Oh, man, science fiction is reality: the private sector has reached space and is getting set to visit on a regular basis. Would you like to go out yonder? I mean, if the group with the five-seater offered you a suborbital flight, would you be up for that?

I dunno. I've been claustrophobic since I was a kid; I couldn't even play hide'n'seek by going behind the clothes and closing the closet door. So space travel seems to be out for me until it's in something the size of a commuter plane. Can't do roller coasters, so that would be a probable out, too. If trained astronauts toss their cookies in space, I don't have a chance.

James, on the other hand, loves barf rides and will go the minute it's affordable (which at this rate he'll be 85 when it happens, but...).