Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, October 15, 2004
Persistence of Smoke
Well, "the Annoying One" is gone.

That's what we nicknamed the Ford Focus I had as a rental for the past three weeks. Enterprise finally found me a Neon, which I'm a lot more comfortable in. The only problem is that it was driven by a smoker and reeks of cigarette.

This happened because I asked the Enterprise folks for a car where the "cigarette lighter/power supply" actually worked; it had been disabled in the Focus. I wanted a working power supply so I could play my .mp3 player on the way home--it's at least an hour commute at night and I'd previously been listening to episodes of Fibber McGee and Molly before the accident--or charge my cell phone or PDA. The Enterprise folks told me that in nonsmoking cars they have it disabled so people won't smoke in the car.

Huh? They must know different smokers than I do--and there have been a line of them, mostly aunts, uncles, and older cousins "way back when," but I still have relatives who smoke. The few friends and co-workers I knew that smoked have in majority stopped, but there are still the dedicated ones who park themselves out by the back door of the building, puffing their cancer sticks. The fact that a cigarette lighter was disabled in a car would not have made one whit of a deterrent--they would have just brought along matches or a lighter.

Which of course increases the likelihood that the car will be damaged by some type of fire.

It doesn't make sense, but there it is...