Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, October 26, 2004
I'm In Trouble Now... :-)
On Memorial Day, 1971, my best friend Sherrye and I decided to go to a movie. We were both fourteen and, being the type of kids we were, we decided to go see the film version of Michael Crichton's germ thriller The Andromeda Strain. Her dad drove us to the theatre. Nearly two weeks later we asked my dad to take us to see it again. He was aghast--my dad was very thrifty and paying to see a movie a second time was completely alien to his nature. But it was our dollar (the bargain matinee price back then) and he did take us (the movie theatre was next to the bowling alley where he'd be Saturday afternoon anyway).

I bought the book as well, and two months later, I managed to see it again by talking my parents into it by saying they hadn't seen it yet. When it was broadcast on TV I audio taped it. When VCRs and HBO appeared I had my own copy. And it was one of the first DVDs I bought.

Get the feeling I like this movie? :-)

Anyway, there's a new DVD version out which I'd planned to skip until I discovered there is a 30 minute "Making of" short on the new pressing that has gotten an excellent review. Damn... Ah, well, there's triple points at Media Play this week anyway. :-)