Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, October 06, 2004
Here's Your Sign
I don't usually comment on this political stuff; my opinion is they're all a bunch of crooks who lie constantly and instinctively, the way cats stalk birds. Why then debate which one is the best? If someone new gets in, this year's graft will just be surreptitiously going to that electee instead of the previous one. But we had our annual work picnic yesterday, which means I took a different route home than I usually do, and I noticed something amusing.

All my life I've been told "Republicans are (for the) rich and Democrats are (for the) poor." My parents voted chiefly on non-partisan lines, but they were Roosevelt Democrats at heart. Even though their favorites--FDR and JFK--were rich, my folks earnestly believed that they were for the poor and that FDR saved the working class during the Depression (something my Libertarian acquaintances will be delighted to debate that he didn't do), and that the majority of Democrats are just hard-working working class people like themselves while Republicans are all rolling in dough

So I found it funny that as I drove from middle class to swank neighborhoods--especially West Paces Ferry Road, where the Governor's mansion is, where the property values are easily $1 million per house and there are "homes" that are the size of rich old Mr. King's mansion in Five Little Peppers and How They Grew--and back again, the majority of Kerry/Edwards signs are on the swank lawns and the majority of Bush/Cheney signs are in comfortably middle class yards.

I guess it's time for another old stereotype to die.