Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, October 24, 2004
A Colorful Past
I can't believe what I'm watching right now: a six-part series on the History Channel of color war footage. I've been amazed in the last few years watching all the color footage that is coming to light from World War II.

But this is World War I footage! Six hour-programs' worth, interspersed with historian interviews and talks with surviving veterans. Oh, it's not "glorious Technicolor," but it is color, footage of Kaiser Wilhelm; Germany, France, England, and the United States figures and landscapes; troops and horse artillery and the Paris taxicabs taking the troops to the front. It's positively mind-blowing.

With research, I found some color photographs from World War I on the web. These were created by film pioneer Louis Lumière using grains of potato starch. The process was called Autochrome and an exhibition of these photos was recently held.

Here are the color WWI photos (warning, they take a while to load on DSL; not sure how long dial-up will take!).