Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, September 16, 2004
English Abuse
I swear I'm going to beat my head against the wall. I've seen the same mistake twice in the past 12 hours. Once it was in a blog, and most of those are informal, so it doesn't count as much. But last night it was in a published novel (Collins' the Lusitania Murders, to be specific).

Both were talking about people being stopped from doing what they wished; they were "reigning in" their ambitions.

Guys, the phrase is "rein in," okay. Like pulling on the reins of a horse to get him to slow down. "Reign" is the period in which a monarch rules or a verb describing what the monarch does ("The king reigns over his subjects"). "Reigning in" not only is incorrect, but it makes no sense!

This isn't the first time I've seen the two confused. Is nothing proofread any longer, and if it is, do the proofreaders actually have knowledge of the English language?