Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, July 15, 2004
Thursday Threesome

::State Fair and Rodeo::

Onesome- State: What state (or territory) do you live in? Have you lived in any other(s)? Where would you like to live? And as a bonus: Any idea what year your state became a state? *grin*

I currently live in Georgia, but I was brought up in Rhode Island. Ideally I would like to live somewhere where the summers are a lot shorter. (Trust me, I've considered Alaska...New Hampshire will do. We always talk about moving to New Hampshire if we do the utter impossible and win the lottery.) Well, both the states I've lived in were part of the original thirteen. I could look them both up. I do know Rhode Island was the last state to join; they wouldn't join until they made sure they would have equal rights to the larger states and wouldn't be bullied by Massachusetts and Connecticut. :-)

Twosome- Fair: Or amusement parks: Did you enjoy them as a kid? What was your favorite ride? How do you feel about them now? Ready to go wander around one again, sampling funnel cakes and corn dogs and riding rides until you're sick or would you rather just enjoy the entertainment or stay home and avoid the crowds?

Oh, now you really have started me on a nostalgia ride. When I was a kid there was never a better place to go than Rocky Point Amusement Park. (I think we went to Crescent Park a couple of times, but I don't recall it.) I would get so excited if I knew we were going that my mom was reduced to conversing about it to relatives in Italian, but I eventually figured out what "Rocky Point" sounded like in that language, too.

Rocky Point was wonderful. I don't remember funnel cakes and corn dogs, though. The specialty at Rocky Point was the food from the Shore Dinner Hall, especially the clamcakes. Even if we weren't actually going to the park, sometimes we would drive there just for Mom and Dad to get a bag of clamcakes. And of course there was popcorn and the inevitable cotton candy. I wasn't allowed to eat the latter, though.

My favorite ride was always the carousel, although I stayed on the Kiddieland merry-go-round a lot longer than I should have because I was afraid of heights and the big carousel was just too much for me. I also loved the Whip. I didn't ride on any of the "barf rides," though, like the roller coaster or the Trabant (sp?). My mom was a big roller coaster fan, though.

If you didn't ride the rides you could play miniature golf or play "Rocky" (that was Rocky Point's version of Bingo) and skee ball or just people-watch: folks at the different carny games, or just wandering the midway. And it was so beautiful at dusk, with all the neon lights coming on and the ferris wheel and the carousel a welter of revolving lights.

Threesome- And Rodeo: Have you ever been to or watched a rodeo on TV? Did you enjoy it or consider it a barbaric spectacle? If you liked it, what was your favorite event? Ever tempted to race barrels or ride a bull yourself?

I've never been to a rodeo, just seen bits of them in movies and television programs. I think rodeos are like any other entertainment with animals; some are nice to their animals and some aren't, and the ones who aren't ruin it for the ones who are. Some animals are extroverts, just like people, and love to perform. Look at Bandit; he loved to show off. I still have the picture the newspaper people took of me at the computer, with Bandit looking at the photographer with the "see, aren't I handsome" expression on his face.