Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, July 10, 2004
Third Round
The war against the ants has resumed. Dammit.

When we found ants in the cupboard on one side of the sliding glass doors back on the 30th, I took the precaution of moving Willow's water and food dishes away from the other side of the door and putting them at the edge of the kitchen table, at least two feet away from the door.

Evidently the ants didn't mind tramping the two feet across the floor. James came downstairs this morning to find the little buggers swarming in Willow's food dish, a clear path laid from the dish to the bottom corner of the sliding glass doors. (Have I mentioned lately how much I hate those sliding glass doors?) So he dumped the food outside and rinsed the dish, then tramped out back with the Ortho and drenched the door, the step, and even inside the track after wrestling the door open (it takes two people to open the door even an inch). He also sprayed very close to the door and we locked Willow in her crate until it dried, and sprinkled ant granules on the ground all around the sliding glass door.

In the meantime I tramped on nearly invisible ants (the floor is an icky dark brown) until I quit seeing movement, then I mopped down the floor with white vinegar, which is supposed to destroy the ant trails. By the time I finished I was fit to be tied and about ready to cry. The Ortho works when it gets a chance to soak in, but nearly every time we've sprayed lately, it rains about two hours later--and I'm not talking about a shower spritz, but full blown Georgia Monsoon Season with the horizontal rain.

The nice gentleman who cuts our lawn hopes to clean out the back yard sometime before he goes on vacation at the end of the month. I hope he can make it. He's been held up by the incessant rain and also having all his equipment and vehicle stolen from his parking lot at work! Anyway, it's a mess back there, branches dating back to Hurricane Opal, the last batch of leaves from last fall, long grass. The mosquitoes are having a field day back there.