Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, June 10, 2004
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: School-- Since the school year seems to be over (your mileage may vary: some of you are already in summer sessions!): what was your favorite year in school? Yeah, the one you had the best time in or learned something special or had that learning breakthrough?

Ninth grade. Ninth grade was great. We were going to high school next year, we were the "big kids" in school, we had an absolutely terrific English teacher (Hi, Mr. Abosamra!).

I always hear people talking about their senior year of high school as being so great. Urgh. Senior year was boring, and it wasn't because I missed the last quarter because of having surgery. We had government and economics classes--government was fairly interesting, but economics was booooooring. I didn't want to take physics or calculus because I knew my math skills weren't up to it, so since they had no alternative classes, like business math (you could only take business math if you were in the business course), I had to take a review math course which was dull. At least I had study hall instead of physics, but an "Earth science" course like I had in junior high would have been fun. I loved geology and archaology.

Oh, and there were about twelve of us who had taken all the English courses the school had to offer. They had no "AP" or "honors" classes at that time, so the dozen of us got stuck with a very doddery teacher who was about to retire. She was in her 70s and had us doing phonics during the week and an essay on Fridays. She drove me crazy. I would hand in what I thought was an inventive essay and she'd give me a B on it. I handed in the most cliche'd bit of tripe you've ever read and I would get an A.

I remember the horrible one she gave me an A+ on. It was about a girl riding on a bus to visit her brother. As she rode the bus, she thought about how nice her brother had always been to her: helped her learn to ride her bike, defended her from bullies, etc. She has a bouquet of flowers she's going to give to him during this visit. Finally the bus stops...

...at a cemetery. Her brother was killed in Vietnam. Ugh. Cliched bit of tripe indeed!

Twosome: Bus-- Hey, how did you get to school in the early years? Walk? Bike? Mommy van? Bus? ...and for those still attending, how are you getting to and fro these days?

My elementary school was 10 minutes walk away, and my junior high was up one block and across the street. To make up for all this easy commuting for nine years, my high school was a mile and 3/8's away. To take the bus you had to live a mile and a half away. The first year I walked; it took a half hour. The other two years, on nice days I took my bike and then parked it on the porch of my best friend's house and we walked the rest of the 10 minutes together.

Threesome: Stop-- ...and when did you stop going to school? ...or did you? Are you still at it? Amy plans to go back for those who are out of the system?

1977, but then I went back for a year 1981-1982 for a business course. I've thought about going back to school, but the thought of those fluorescent lights another 2-3 hours a day makes me reconsider. I have bad enough headaches when I come home at night from those wretched things. I can't imagine piling on a couple more hours with them.