Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, June 06, 2004
Held Prisoner by Harry Potter
Well, for 136 minutes yesterday, at least! Enjoyed the movie immensely, with only a few complaints: the film did not explain the "Moony, Prongs, Padfoot, and Wormtail" signature on the Marauder's Map. And I sorta missed the "Harry tells Uncle Vernon his godfather is a convicted murderer" ending. As always there was never enough of Professor McGonagall, who I'd like to be "when I grow up." :-)

(They also cut out Pigwidgeon, who's a favorite of mine simply because he's an owl with the personality of a budgie, but I can understand him being cut from the story; he doesn't really add to the plot. You know, anyone who's a Harry Potter fan would sit through a Lord of the Rings-length film! Why keep editing these down? I hoped the edited scenes appear on the DVD!)

David Thewlis was terrific as Remus Lupin. I had only seen him as Jerry Barker in Black Beauty, but my memory of his body build was similar to my envisioning of the Lupin character. His scenes with Harry talking about James and Lily were particularly good.

I also liked the new "layout" of Hogwarts under the new director. Everything in Chris Columbus' version was about what I imagined, but it seemed so close and flat. The landscape was a lot more like the wilder Hogwarts that I'd imagined.

Anyway, while searching around for Harry Potter reviews last night, I came upon this quote from J.K. Rowling about the new film:

"Alfonso has very good intuition about what would and wouldn't work," she said. "He's put things in the film that--without knowing it--foreshadow things that are going to happen in the two final books. So I really got goosebumps when I saw those two things."

I don't know about you, but I'd sure like to know what those two were!!!!!