Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, May 18, 2004
"You Knew the Job Was Dangerous When You Took It, Fred..."
Colonial House, Parts 3 and 4: The main goal, as I understood from last night, was for 21st century people to form a community living as 17th century people. This meant they had to conform to 17th century laws (within reason, of course; no one was going to burn witches, etc.).

Frankly I think some of these folks are cheating. For instance, if I go downtown right now, don't feel like walking, and park in front of the Marriott Marquis, I'm going to get a parking ticket or have my car towed, and perhaps end up in court. Why? Because the law says "No parking." 17th century law said the settlers had to conform to certain rules, and that included church attendance on the Sabbath. Several people in the group didn't want to go to church and didn't show up. The "governor" of the colony instituted punishments, but at this point so many of the few participants were being punished for not attending services that the colony's work was compromised. Finally the punishments for non-attendance were rescinded and the requirement for attendance also dropped, for the good of the colony.

Look, going to church for three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon isn't my idea of the ideal Sunday. But then neither is sleeping on a dirt floor with bugs crawling around, or wearing a corset, or cooking over a fire with wool clothing and a long skirt. I wouldn't have volunteered for Colonial House because I knew I'd have to do all these things. If the members of the project didn't want to abide by the rules, they shouldn't have joined.