Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, May 07, 2004
Summer Swelter
Another day in Joyless Heat, 84° on the fry meter. At least there was a breeze today, which made taking the dog out for walkies a little more bearable. I turned all the fans up to "overdrive" and let 'em cool.

Despite the heat, I hate to close the windows and turn the A/C on, half because I know the bill will then climb past the $200 mark and half because the privet bush outside the kitchen window is in full bloom. You can smell the blossoms almost everywhere on the main level of the house and even downstairs in the bathroom and going up the stairs, a sweet, lovely perfume. I wish our roses smelled as good, but these new hybrid things they're turning out have almost no scent at all. You have to bury your nose in them to smell anything. I remember walking past big old-fashioned roses in my mother's back yard--the perfume practically lifted you off the ground and wafted you away with its heavenly heady scent.