Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, May 08, 2004
A Navy Day
No, not talking about the shade of blue. We attended the Dobbins AFB/NAS Atlanta open house today. We went early so James could take pictures of the planes on the static line. They didn't have as many aircraft as usual; my favorite was the DC-3 fitted as it would have been for post-WWII flying: the cargo compartment was open and they had old-fashioned suitcases inside; the rows of seats--two on the left, one on the right--had the tidy white headrest covers--and Life magazines in the pockets behind the seats.

We stayed to watch several of the displays, including Patty Wagstaff and her neat little stunt plane, and a super combined display of the F-86, F-15, and F-16. For a while we found a nice viewing place in the shade of the hangar, but we eventually had to emerge into the sun (fry factor was 88° today) for better viewing.

We left about noon, did lunch and errands, and then went home to shower and collapse. The sun works like a vacuum cleaner on me: completely sucks any energy I have from my body, and today was no exception. We took the opportunity to watch that great recruiting film for the U.S. Navy, The Final Countdown. I like James Farentino, by my favorite character in the movie is still Charlie the dog. :-)