Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, May 19, 2004
Good Disney, Bad Disney
I have in my hot little hands--well, actually, no, since then I couldn't type; they're actually in a chair--so I had in my hot little hands the Walt Disney Treasures sets "On the Front Line" and "Tomorrowland." Woohoo!

So at the moment Disney has made me happy...but I'm still a bit miffed. The Ultimate Disney site has some upcoming cover art, and I discover they've decided to use this overly precious promotional photo for The Three Lives of Thomasina.

I can imagine the legions of adults who have never seen this movie, especially men, who would take one look at the cutsey cover with Thomasina dressed up in baby clothes and say that cats or no cats, a piece of treacle like that is not going to enter their house. Gah. The scene with Mary dressing Thomasina in baby clothes hardly lasts five minutes and does not represent at all what this movie is about. Anyone who thinks it's a sweet little fantasy about a little girl and a cat would be highly mistaken. It's actually very adult for a Disney family movie, addressing things like an adult's disappointment with a career, the relationships people have with their pets, the relationship between a loving child and a distant father, a woman being different in a highly traditional society, and how children deal with death. So don't write it off by its cover.