Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, April 18, 2004
Return from Paradise
We've been away for the weekend.

Every year a group of us go up to Helen, Georgia, a Bavarian-themed former logging town, to Unicoi State Park, and take over one of the lodge buildings. These are built with two intersecting halls on an obtuse angle. At the intersection of the halls there is a common area, with a sunken seating area in front of a big fireplace, and then an open area. We assemble snacks, a microwave, breakfast food, a bread machine, and other goodies in this open area and generally chill out from Friday through Sunday morning.

Normally I wouldn't have been traveling so soon after the surgery, but since this is mainly a relaxing weekend, I didn't have any qualms. I brought a wedgie to prop my back, all my meds, and James and I basically loafed. We did go into Helen for about an hour--my dearly "bought" handicapped parking pass, however, was useless since there were only four spaces (we thought there were more) near where we wanted to walk, and they were all taken. So James dropped me off, but since the truck was downhill, I did walk back. The doctor was very insistant that I do walk. I was hurting a bit Monday when I went to have the staples out and James wheeled me upstairs in a wheelchair and they seemed displeased.

The only very odd thing that happened was an attack of hives, of all things, on Saturday morning. I have never, ever had hives in my life. I got up and was using the toilet when i began to itch, and to my surprise, welts were breaking out all over my right arm, then spreading to my back, chest, face, and then other limbs! James gave me a Claritin right away, and I sent him off to look for someone with Benadryl--all our friends have allergies and I knew someone would have some.

I popped one and it seemed to turn the tide, although I was very shaky heading for breakfast and only managed to down some cereal. What I was really afraid of was having other allergic reactions, like breathing problems.

All I can think of is that my already abused digestive system reacted badly to the crab I'd eaten the night before.

We had a great time otherwise and, while my back is still a bit sore, I think moving around and interacting with people turned the trick and the bulk of the pain is gone. I can cough without major pain most of the time as well.

Wish I'd been feeling well to participate more in the game of Cranium folks were playing on Saturday night. I sat in for the last fifteen minutes. All the different actions--spelling, acting out clues, drawing items, etc.--looked like great fun.