Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, April 04, 2004
Pirates Ahoy!
Last week Daniel and Rodney recommended Mozilla's new upgrade, named "Firefox" and both James and I downloaded it. We were both really pleased with it, especially as we both liked Mozilla.

I was getting so that I could accept Internet Explorer, especially since we had it at work. It loaded quicker than Mozilla for sure.

But last night demo'd something I don't like about IE--it allows websites to hijack your browser. I still have IE linked to come up when I double-click on URLs in Eudora, and that's when the trouble started. I don't have any idea how I got to a certain site, because I didn't go there on purpose, but something began to do popups even though I have AdSubtract. And when I closed IE, there were three new icons on my desktop. So I opened IE again, and, even though I had it defaulted to start at a blank page, now I had some other page as a home page, something about not having to pay for legitimate software and--what I found really ironic!--urging you to use AdAware and other spyware blockers.

I deleted the desktop icons and left AdAware running during the night. This morning I discovered it had found 91 bits of spyware on my computer. Worst of all, when I went back into IE to default it to a blank page, this intruder page put all those icons back on my screen, including one that could not be removed because it said Windows was using it.

So I had to run AdAware again to get rid of the icon, which was spyware, and ran Norton Anti-Virus to make sure the spyware was not also a virus. What a pain!