Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Excelsior!
Not to be confused with the packing material.

I slept in my own bed last night. All night. With a minimal backache and--ta-da!--on my sides! I used a pillow to cushion my abused tummy and it worked out pretty well. The muscles in my back are twisted out of shape from unusual positions in the hospital bed and by the staples pulling me in, so I have to stretch them to get them back into place--and still keep them from hurting. Good trick.

Oh, and I had a full glorious shower last night and got to wash my hair, which after six days had turned into a sodden mass of grease. I can't believe that as a teenager I would let it go a week without washing. I don't think it was as greasy back then, though.

I had this surgery thirty years ago, but I realize now that I don't remember much about it, except that I couldn't laugh with the stitches in, I was in the hospital for a week, and when I came home I went straight to bed. I do remember my hair went two weeks without washing; when my hair gets dirty it forms ringlets, so by the time I did wash it I practically had banana curls. I think we had a hair dryer by then, one of those cap-on-the-head affairs, but I'm not sure. Before that I'd had to dry my hair in front of the oven of the gas stove. That would explain why I didn't wash my hair all that often back then! How boring it was to be stuck in a kitchen chair in the middle of the room, dangling my head back. (That was only when it was cold. In the summer it could dry naturally.)