Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, January 19, 2004
Time Out for Happiness
This morning I finished tidying up the den. As I said, it's not finished. We still have to figure out what to do with that extra tape case, as well as some type of support for one of the CD spinners. Unfortunately, neither of them spin right now; they're on the top of the tape case and thus too close together. We are also planning to reverse the recliner and the sofa, if that works, and we need to find some type of light--perhaps a form of track lighting we can put a dimmer on--that goes above the level of the television. The screen is shiny slick and reflects everything.

Lighting's always been a problem down there anyway; most of the illumination is supplied by these swing-arm lamps, which have to be down lower to do any good--but they reflect in the television screen something hideous--and they have not been good for many of my craft projects or for ease of cross-stitching.

I did get a bunch of things tossed or put away, and took the rolling cart that the tapes had been on, plus a load of miscellaneous things, to Goodwill before going out and having a bit of relaxation for myself. I bought a couple of really inexpensive, but useful items at Michael's, and pretty much pigged out on those Media Play coupons. I didn't realize they had Anne of Green Gables: the Sequel out at those stores at such a reasonable price! Even Amazon.com has been selling them for $30+, making me reluctant to order it. And I was much happier that the quality was better than Anne of Green Gables--maybe Sullivan got the message after complaints about its quality.

I also bought a couple of favorite silly Disney flicks: The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (which has Jon Provost in it, in one of his few roles after Lassie), and The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit. Both of these are apparently part of the "Kurt Russell collection," but I assure you I bought the last one for Dean Jones--oh, and the horse! I love greys.

Plus I replaced our VHS copies of Adventures in Babysitting and The Great Mouse Detective. And I bought a David Lanz double CD.

Quite enough for a while, thanks. Still have yet to crack Babylon 5 (season 4) and most of M*A*S*H (season 5). Was really tempted by season 1 of Barney Miller, though. Loved that show.

I'm worried about going back to work tomorrow. My right arm is still hurting. The doctor says I have tendonitis and that I should spend 15 minutes a night icing it down. Damn, I spend most of the evening trying to warm up my hands! It's not too bad typing with my arm close to my body, but the moment I lay my hand on the mouse it tingles and hurts. The old purchase order system was basically a DOS program and manipulated with typing and keyboarding; since we started with the new purchase order generating system (ICE, which is as chilly as it sounds), 80 percent of my manipulation is mouse work and it's definitely starting to show.

I may have to learn to work the mouse with my left hand. A friend of mine has had to do that due to a bad wrist.