Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, January 08, 2004
Thursday Movie Night
My copy of Lassie Come Home from Singapore came last night. This is an all-region DVD I bought on e-Bay since American DVD producers seem dedicated to bringing you every trashy movie ever produced in the last 10 years while ignoring really good films.

After watching it I'm wondering if it's some type of bootleg; the quality was fine considering it was an old movie, but I've seen a richer-colored version on TCM. The titles in particular were washed out, although the remainder of the movie is fine.

But it's nice to have a permanent copy of the film in my library.

Later on we watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Ick...uh, Doom. I remembered all the bugs in this movie--the reason I usually don't watch it--and the utterly gross dinner table scene with eating the beetles and the chilled monkey brains--but I'd forgotten just how many damn times Willie Scott screamed, and how really loud this film was. Between the background sounds and the soundtrack music, it literally booms at you most of the time. At one point, something was so loud that Willow, upstairs sleeping in her crate, came shooting down the stairs and threw herself in James' lap.

Makes me wonder whatever happened to the kid who played Short Round...come to think of it, what happened to Short Round anyway? Did Indy send him off to boarding school? Anyway, Ke Huy Quan must be in his mid-thirties now!