Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, January 18, 2004
Frankly, Captain, I'm Exhausted
Our television was delivered yesterday. It's a 36" Panasonic "Tau" HDTV model. Yes, the pic is absolutely gorgeous, especially with DVDs. We're having a mild problem with the satellite reception; there is a very faint vertical line right of center on the screen. It's not the television itself, because it doesn't show up on DVD. It didn't show up on the last set; it appeared once we hitched the satellite box to it. We're wondering maybe if an HD television is so sensitive it's picking up interference.

Yesterday and today we have done nothing but rearrange the den (save for the few hours we had some friends over--guys, the mess you saw is now 90 percent improved!): the television is now in the corner, with the satellite box on top, and the other electronics underneath. The whole unit is flanked on either side by DVD towers, and to the left of the lefthand DVD tower are my two videotape cases stacked on each other, then to the left of the cases is a bookcase full of our media books. Right now to the left of the bookcase is a case for James' videos, then the papasan chair with the subwoofer under it. This probably will change configuration. I had to put the tape case in sideways and it looks funny, and the top is still too small to hold both CD spinners, as I originally intended.

To the right of the television and the DVD tower on that side is a second, wire DVD tower, my little table that I intend to leave room for, if not in that specific place, and a big chest that at the moment has a lamp and the bird's playpen and several other things on it. I want to get this chest emptied--it's full of our Babylon 5 trading cards and other junk--and take it upstairs to use as a blanket chest. It's a handcrafted chest that we bought at a craft festival and it's really too nice to be used as a glorified table.

So perhaps the second tape case could go there instead.

As an added bonus, all the electrical plugs are finally uncovered! We'd discovered about a year ago, after constantly complaining about a shortage of electrical plugs, that we'd covered one up with the bookcase!

On top of that, today we got the old entertainment center, six feet high and almost as wide, safely to Goodwill, and another cart is in my car for a similar trip tomorrow. I now have a bookcase to store my cross-stitch books/equipment in (along with James' LPs).

I have to admit parts of the room still look really untidy, but I hurt too much right now to really care. Maybe tomorrow I can make more improvements, after I make up a little to Bandit for the neglect of the past two days.