Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, January 14, 2004
A Blast From Winters Past

Ah, yes, when the good ol' days are really less than good ol':

Wednesday, January 14, 2004, by Peter Lord

The National Weather Service is warning New Englanders that temperatures during the next several days are expected to drop to lows that haven't been felt around here for more than two decades.

Temperatures were expected to reach only 12 degrees today at T.F. Green Airport, in Warwick, and then drop to 5 degrees tonight. Temperatures tomorrow and Friday are expected to range between minus 3 and 10. The forecast also calls for some snow and gale-force winds.

What do you do? Well, you just get used to it. I remember the delightful winter day I had to walk to school in 0 degree weather; with the windchill it was -10. Compound this by the fact that this was back when girls were not allowed to wear pants to school. Instead I wore nylons with heavy knee socks over them, and my fur-lined boots. I had a sweater on, with a vest over it, and underneath I had on one of my dad's undershirts. Plus the coat, plus a sweater, plus a scarf, and hat and gloves, of course.

The utterly stupid thing is that I recall that day girls showing up for school with no hats on. They were afraid of spoiling their hair! One girl's ears were actually a vivid shade of purple when she walked into the classroom. Never could understand people who would risk their health just to "look nice."

But I'll wager there are girls and boys prancing around Rhode Island (heck, southern New England period) middle and high school today without hats. Ah, youthful stupidity never dies...