Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, January 09, 2004
And Then a Miracle Occurred
I love annotated books. I have an annotated copy of A Christmas Carol, and am drooling because a new version has come out. I loved the annotated version of James Herriott's books showing what a "sheep hurdle" and other terms he used were. Recently I found out there was an annotated version of Anne of Green Gables, not just annotated, but with a bio of Lucy Maud Montgomery, complete verses of all the poetry Anne cites, information about Prince Edward Island and the real Avonlea, Cavendish, etc.

This was quite an expensive book at $37, and it also went out of print quickly. I've been searching around on the Web for a cheaper edition for a long time, but found the least expensive volume for $29.50 before tax. However, on my birthday my mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I explained about this book.

I'm sure she sighed. She always wants me to spend my money on "girly things" like clothes. But she said she would send me $30 to cover the cost of the book.

I've had the check prepared to deposit for a while now, but had not yet ordered the book. Today we tried a new venue for lunch, Mama Fu's Noodle House in the Toco Hills Shopping Center on North Druid Hills Road. I hadn't been to Toco Hills or the surrounding neighborhood for several years, so was looking around when I parked the car down from Mama Fu's. Next to the Publix I got cash from was a little storefront labeled "Discount Books."

I was short of time, but I couldn't help ducking in after lunch was eaten to look around.

You've guessed the ending, right? There in the back with the young adult books was the Annotated Anne, not one but two copies. One was a bit water damaged, but the other, although a little bit bumped and with about 30 pages stuck together at the top (they unstuck with very little effort while I sat at a long, long traffic light), was fine, complete with cover, for only $18.50.

Cool!