Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, December 29, 2003
Love and Death In Middle Earth
Collecting my thoughts about Return of the King since yesterday.

Summary: Wow.

I have never read the Tolkien trilogy and still don't know if I ever will. Rings is one of several books I've been urged to read for years, started, and couldn't get through, like Asimov's Foundation trilogy and Kurtz' Derenyi books. Not ever been one for high fantasy with elves, dwarfs, and the usual supporting cast. I don't even like Camelot stories except for Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy.

And I've asked James if this or that thing happened in the book; it may be that I'll get curious enough--but with my book queue the way it is now, I dunno.

I've enjoyed the movies, though, whatever they've left out or amended...excellent narrative, heart-stopping scenes, absorbing characters, and tremendous visuals (not just the SFX; apparently when God was giving out scenery, New Zealand got in line three times--at least). And the music! Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Miscellaneous comments:

  • Aragorn looks really uncomfortable in king's robes.
  • Sigh...wouldn't it be nice to look like Arwen...or at least Eowyn...
  • It was both wonderful and sad watching Merry and Pippin grow up.
  • I could have killed Denethor myself. Twit.
  • If I didn't know any better, I'd say Peter Jackson was saying that Sam was actually the hero of the entire film. (Which wouldn't bother me a bit; Sam is my favorite character. It doesn't hurt that Sean Astin is So Damn Cute.)