Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, November 14, 2003
Trapped in a Running Gag
One of the recurring characters on Fibber McGee and Molly was Teeny (also voiced by Marian Jordan), the little neighborhood girl who was always bedeviling McGee. Teeny is part little girl, part smart-aleck, and occasionally wiser than her years (once she gave McGee a lecture about the love of a good woman).

One of the running gags in the 1941 shows is that Fibber would mention a food item in a non food way in a line of dialog, prompting Teeny to whine "I’m hungry!" (Example: McGee says something is too corny. Teeny asks, "What?" and Fibber repeats "Corny!" Teeny wails back, "I’m hungry!") The exchange on one of the shows we listened to Sunday went something like this after Fibber’s food reference:

"I’m hungry!"

Ever exasperated, Fibber explodes: "You’re always hungry! Don’t they ever feed you at home?"

Teeny says tearfully, "No."

Well, of course ol’ in-reality-softhearted McGee says with concern, "I don’t believe it. You mean they really don’t feed you at home?"

Teeny whimpers, "No." Then she adds, tragically, "They put the food on the table and I have to feed myself!"

James and I have been exchanging this bit of silliness for a week now...