Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, November 13, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Envision-- How much television do you watch each week? Are you one of those who can you call up the nightly program schedules for the major networks (and a cable channel or two) in your head? ...or do you have to search the paper to find out when the Thanksgiving Day parade is? (Hint: It's on a Thursday.)

Um, I don't know what to say. The television is usually on all the time. We don't really watch it half the time; we could be reading or online or working on a craft. It's just on for white noise and for Bandit, and if something interesting turns up, we watch it. We know vaguely of what programs we have watched and ones we don't which nights they are on, but the only network show we watch is NYPD Blue.

For instance, last night we finished watching The Screen Savers on TechTV--it's been pretty dull this week, about home video--and just let it run into the next program because we were both busy online. Then I couldn't stand the hosts anymore and changed it to HGTV, but I don't think either of us watched what was on. At nine James put Good Eats on and he watched and I sorta watched the show on sweet potatoes and then Jamie Oliver was on, but all I really watched was the end when he was feeding the baby. Then at ten I was cross-stitching an apple and James was playing Rocket Mania and I noticed Melinda Mullins' episode of M*A*S*H was on, so I watched that and then put the GPTV show about the battleship Wisconsin on but was only half watching it because I had my glasses off.

Most nights it's like that. :-)

Twosome: whirled-- Oh, my! That holiday stuff is coming up soon! Are you ready for Thanksgiving? ...or are you going to be whirling around at the last minute?

Dear, I've been ready for Thanksgiving for months. Oh, you mean food-wise? I think we're probably going to someone's house for dinner, "with the help of God and a few policemen," as my mom says. There's no Harry Potter movie to go to this year. If we do eat at home, we'll have turkey parts, wings, thighs, legs (turkey breast--ugh!), baby carrots, potatoes. Oh, and of course we'll watch the Macy's Parade...but I really miss the old CBS parades {sniffle}. They still have 'em, but they're from different cities now and not as interesting. I loved the original line up: Macy's in New York, J.L. Hudson in Detroit, Gimbel's in Philadelphia, and Eaton's Santa Claus Parade in Toronto. Gimbels is gone, J.L. Hudson has mutated into Target (God help us), and I think they still have the Santa Claus Parade, but Eaton's is gone.

Threesome: peas-- Shine on the the healthy stuff; we really don't care if you eat your vegetables (okay, the mom's here on the Porch do <g>): what are you looking forward to eating on Thanksgiving that you just cannot get the rest of the year?

Actually, nothing. Maybe pumpkin pie, although some supermarket delis sell 'em all year round. The one thing I miss most is squash pie. I guess it's a New England thing--I've never seen one down here, but I don't think I ever saw a sweet potato pie in RI, either. Squash pie is like pumpkin pie, but made with butternut squash instead of pumpkin mix. It has a lighter flavor, but still has that cinnamon-spicy edge.