Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, November 07, 2003
The Friday Five

1. What food do you like that most people hate?

Spaghetti and tuna fish (yes, with spaghetti sauce). Go ahead. Gag. This is what we had as a kid on Fridays back when good Catholics couldn't eat meat. I think it tastes good. It tastes better with tuna canned in olive oil, but any tuna works.

2. What food do you hate that most people love?

Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Gag. Ugh. I mean, the doughnuts themselves are good, very nice and light and fluffy; they are what Dunkin Donuts calls a raised doughnut and if I remember correctly, are the least fattening of the doughnuts. But then Krispy Kreme goes and ruins the darn things by drowning them in "ick," which is my term for either frosting/icing or breading. I don't want my desserts coated in sugar and I don't want my meat covered in breading or batter. I want to taste the flavorful dessert or meat, not the goop on top.

This is probably my mother's fault. When she did bake when I was a kid (she was embarrassed because they'd never leveled her oven correctly and all her cakes turned out lopsided, so she almost never baked cakes), she made cookies and cut down the sugar in all of them. (When she did make cakes, they either weren't frosted or had powdered sugar on them.) To this day I want my Cinnabons without frosting, scrape the icing off Danish, and toss the dipping sauce for Burger King's Cinni-Mini's in the trash. I even used to pick the raisins out of oatmeal cookies because I thought they were too sweet. (Now I just eat them and wince. Needless to say, I prefer raisin-less oatmeal cookies.)

3. What famous person, whom many people may find attractive, is most unappealing to you?

Oh, god, where's my list? J-Lo, Leonardo DeCaprio, Ben Affleck...

4. What famous person, whom many people may find unappealing, do you find attractive?

That's a hard one. I was always the person who liked the older or character actor best in a TV show rather than the sexy young star. My favorite character on St. Elsewhere was Dr. Auschlander (Norman Lloyd) and I liked "the Man" (Jack Albertson) better than Chico (Freddie Prinze), for example. Heck, I still like Dennis Franz better than Mark-Paul Gosselaer (sp?).

5. What popular trend baffles you?

Nail salons. And people who have fingernails 2 and more inches long, covered in gaudy polish and glitter. Guys--all fingernails are are vestigal claws...