Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, October 30, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Cheap-- Cheap thrills? Are you and yours doing anything for Halloween? Parties? Trick or treating? Staying home with the lights out and an axe visible in the window?

Giving out candy as long as it lasts. We seem to have a glut of new kids in the neighborhood; in the afternoon about a dozen of them are playing in the circle near our house. Our first six Halloweens in the house (we used to shut the lights off and hibernate in the apartment) we had about 30-40 kids, so when last year came (we didn't do 2001 because of 9/11) I bought only about 40 candies. Turned out I had to cannibalize a bag of York Peppermint Patties James had saved in the fridge. This year we'll get all the new kids, plus the children from the apartment complex behind us. I don't mind them; what I really resent is the parents who drive their kids to other neighborhoods.

Twosome: wax-- Hey, are you a 'candle person'? I mean, is that one of your decorating motifs? ...or does this fall under something like the "No Sharp Objects" rule in your life?

No candles, except maybe Christmas Eve tapers on the kitchen table. I'm afraid of fires and have a bird.

Threesome: treatment-- Speaking of treatments: do you decorate for Fall? Halloween? Thanksgiving? ...or just pretend that deceased plant in the corner really just lost its leaves for the winter?

I do decorate for fall--in fact the entire living room/library has a fall motif--just because I'm so darned glad when it gets here. Hallowe'en is one of my lesser favorite holidays--it's cute for kids but a big pain when driving home from work on that day takes two hours!--but a few years back I did thaw from being "Pumpkin Scrooge" and bought a lighted pumpkin and two small beanbag figures (a ghost and a scarecrow) for our front porch on Hallowe'en. I also have two foam jack o'lanterns hanging in the front window with a couple of cute Halloween clings. I put these all up on Tuesday and will pull them down Saturday (if not Friday night after I shut off the lights).

Thanksgiving's more my holiday. I have a cute stuffed turkey and a honeycomb one, a Thanksgiving plaque for the den, Thanksgiving napkins, and this year a Thanksgiving banner for the front of the house to temporarily replace the fall leaf banner that's up now. Plus there's the Indian corn on the front door and the fox in the canoe on a bed of autumn leaves also in the den.