Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, October 27, 2003
Monday Madness

Dunno if I should even be answering these questions, as I'm so hostile to the so-called "art form"...

1. Do you watch any 'reality shows' on television? If so, which is your favorite? If not, why?

I think the last time someone asked this I said "no" initially, as I think of a "reality show" as some type of damnfool network television contest someone's trying to win and people getting "voted off" by participants, viewers, and other bigots, and where people's greed and nastiness is encouraged. (I think that's sufficient answer to the "why.")

I do watch certain reality shows: Emergency Vets, Animal Precinct, Animal Cops and recently Pioneer Quest, about 2 Canadian couples living the pioneer life for a year. (If you're using the term broadly, I watch lots of reality shows, because all programs on HGTV and Food Network are reality shows--although I do admit Mary Ellen Pinkham and Alton Brown do get into the science fiction realms sometimes...)

2. If you were offered a chance to be a part of any of the reality shows, which one would you choose? Why?

None of the network ones! They are horrifically mean spirited. And I sure don't want to be on Animal Precinct or Emergency Vets, knowing what that would mean.

The reality show I would most like to be on is Ground Force. Our backyard is pathetic.

3. If you could pick your own team on 'Survivor' what qualities would you look for in the 7 people you would choose?

See, now if understand the Survivor mentality, I would not choose any of my friends. Isn't the point of that show to have one person every week voted off the island? I wouldn't do that to a dog, let alone a friend. That's not "surviving" as much as being cutthroat--we experience this at work; why expose ourselves to it voluntarily?

Now if they've turned over a leaf and are putting teams together and we're going to try to survive as a group with no "winnah" and make a community together, much like they did on the BBC's wonderful Castaway, then I would pick certain of my friends who are quick thinking and already know some outdoor survival skills as well as building and food preparation skills (I have at least four people I could name right now, but I wouldn't invade their privacy by mentioning them here).