Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, October 08, 2003
Lions and Foxes and Hounds, Oh My!


As you remember, I'd picked up two Disney DVDs yesterday...I make it a policy to try to watch purchased DVDs right away, in case they turn out like my Space Camp DVD, the original of which refused to play.

I'd forgotten how much I liked The Fox and the Hound, which is no great shakes like Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, but just is a nice quiet tale (until the very end). I'd forgotten the entire subplot with the woodpecker and the sparrow after the caterpillar.

I still enjoy Lion King, but, like E.T., I've never quite understood what made this movie such a hit. The animation is stunning, especially the wildebeest stampede and the African flavor, there's a good solid story with overtones of Hamlet, and it moves well. I've just...well, I've never liked Simba all that much. Nala is still my favorite character in this movie.