Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, October 08, 2003
Acquisitions and Autumn Leaves


Cool! The Homecoming and A Christmas Story (SE) are on the way.

I received most of my Barnes & Noble order yesterday: every year I order the Ideals Thanksgiving and Christmas issues, mostly for the autumn and snow photos, respectively. This is something I started doing very recently; I didn't really enjoy the older Ideals issues, which were illustrated almost wholly with what I thought was badly done, tinted artwork and contained only poems. The newer issues have better artwork, excellent photos, and essays along with the poems. The Christmas issues I started getting as an afterthought; I wanted the Thanksgiving issues because there was so little Thanksgiving literature, fall holiday efforts these days emphasizing Halloween, a celebration I can take or leave.

Ironically yesterday I received an old (1998) Thanksgiving issue I'd found on B&N's site; the 2003 version is still enroute. The 1998 cover features an orangy-red line of maple trees so vivid in color that James suspects they've been retouched. I don't doubt that they could be retouched, but I have seen color this vivid on many autumn outings in New England. We have a photo taken with my plain old instamatic camera at a rest area in upper New York state, of a maple tree ironically next to an ugly concrete and steel rest room. It was raining copiously on this particular autumn leaf viewing expedition, the sky smoky grey and low, and the tree still blazes a brilliant crystal red-orange in the dimness. And the camera didn't capture the actual glow of the tree!