Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, September 07, 2003
Well, managed to make it out of the Yellow Daisy Festival almost unscathed.

This is the big arts and crafts festival held at Stone Mountain Park every second weekend of September each year. Two years ago we bought our table and chairs there, from a marvelous furniture-maker from Alabama. Our master bathroom medicine cabinet also comes from these folks. I could buy every type of furniture these folks make--but we have no room for it. I still drool. It's plain, sturdy, real wood furniture, rather Shaker-style in its simplicity.

The items for sale at the Festival range from harmless geegaws of the clutter type to cooking items (sauces, soup mixes, special bread cutters, containers) to useful things like furniture, yard items, lawn furniture, etc. It takes us about three hours to see everything, and we skip the obvious booths: cutesy things made of flowered fabric, children's clothing, funky garden ornaments, etc. We did make our annual stop at Ginny's Fudge--they have a sugarless type--and I was sorely disappointed at our breakfast: I decided to get a Philly cheese-steak sandwich (without the cheese, of course, which I loathe) and could only eat half of it, it was so heavily peppered. I was starving, but my mouth burning completely destroyed any appetite I had. Needless to say, I spent a lot of the route feeling decidedly lightheaded and welcomed all the samples.

I lost it at a little booth where a woman had made rustic looking ornaments out of wood in the shapes of sleighs, sleds, and canoes with little fuzzy animals in them. One of the things was a "birchbark" canoe with wood trimmings, filled with "pine branches" and a little stuffed fox, asleep. I never could resist foxes and had to buy one. I think this is supposed to be a Christmas or winter type ornament, but I'm going to go to Michael's or JoAnn, whomever has more realistic looking silk leaves, and get some autumn finery to fill in the ends of the canoe so it will match the library's autumn motif more. Or maybe I'll just leave it downstairs in the den. It's awfully cute.