Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, September 11, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Sticks and stones- Are you an outdoorsy sort? Would you prefer to spend all your spare time hiking, biking, swimming, etc? What's your favorite outdoor activity?

Outside makes me sneeze. The sun gives me migraines. Fresh air makes me sleepy; my mom found out when I was a baby the sure way to get me to fall asleep was to put me outside in the baby carriage--fresh air conked me right out. I would like to go biking again, but that involves using the truck, heaving the bike up into the bed, and driving to the bike trail. I don't dare ride around my neighborhood now the way I rode around my old one: people "drag race" through the area.

Twosome: May break my bones,- Have you ever broken a bone? Or needed stitches? Or been hurt badly enough you should have gone to the hospital but didn't?

In 1980 I fell face-first onto the concrete floor at work and needed three stitches in my nose. It knocked the bones askew and narrowed my right nasal passage, but since I could still breath Blue Cross wouldn't pay to fix it because it would be "cosmetic surgery." (Blows raspberry here.) Several years ago I fell and fractured an elbow trying to learn to roller skate. Future hubby had to talk me into going to the emergency room at midnight; I didn't get home till 5 a.m. Oh, and last year I tore the ligaments in my right foot. Now there was a "fun" experience; I actually did more damage than actually breaking the fool thing.

Threesome: But words will never harm me- The pen is mightier than the sword and words do truly have the power to hurt. But sometimes we slip and just can't help but vent our anger toward that slow moving driver or the jerk who cut in front of us and took the last of what we needed. What's your favorite insult to hurl? Do you try to censor yourself when the kiddos are around?

If I had kids I would watch my language more. I have to watch what I say around Bandit. He repeats anything I say too much.

My favorite insult is, "I hope when you get home your mother runs out from under the porch and bites you on the leg!"

The weekly question is:

When you are feeling down...what movie(s) are guaranteed to lift your spirits? Why? Also, are there any particular scenes that bring a smile to your face?

Hm. Just movies? Galaxy Quest always helps. "It's a rock! It doesn't have any vulnerable spots!" And every single scene Tony Shalhoub is in. Or Spaceballs. I laugh helplessly at the idiot "comb the desert" scene and also John Hurt's cameo with "Michigan J. Alien."

But there are a lot of cheer-uppers in our TV collection, too. If I'm depressed James will usually ask me if I want to watch "Spider," the episode of From the Earth to the Moon about building the lunar module--"Bob, how much do these windows weigh?" "I'd say about four to five ounces." "Bob!" ... "You're looking more and more like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape." "Funny you should say that. I've got some guys building a tunnel..." ... "To the person tapping the pencil; if you value your life, please stop." -- and the other ep "That's All There Is," a humorous look at the Apollo 12 space mission.

Almost any episode of Remember WENN will do it, too...

Now if I need a good cry it depends on how much time I have. If I only have a half hour I'll watch Joe Dimino's last Ask the Manager. If I have an hour I'll watch "The Achievement" on The Waltons where John Boy gets his book published. If I have 90 minutes I'll watch "Lassie's Odyssey" and have a really good cry.