Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, September 25, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Green- Are you ready to go from all things green to the vibrant colors of autumn? Or for those of you down under, from winter to spring green? What do you like best about the change of seasons?

Woohoo! Did you read my previous post? I was positively dancing around replacing summer decorations with fall ones. According to the Weather Channel, we may go down to the seventies on Sunday, with lows in the fifties. No more A/C!

Twosome: Eyed- Have you eyed anything lately that you absolutely had to have? Or have you had your eye on something for a while now that you want to splurge on?

Well, yes...that $75 I got from jury duty is positively egging me on to get the first Star Blazers set from Deep Discount DVD.

Threesome: Monster- Are you a monster movie/ thriller fan? If not, what kind of movies do you like?

Never liked any type of horror movie. I was the kid who was forbidden to watch The Wizard of Oz until I was twelve because the first time I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime and see it (it ended at eight and I was seven at the time) I woke up with screaming nightmares about the witch. Oddly, the scene that scared me the most? Not the witch setting the Scarecrow on fire, or riding on her broomstick, or any of the more violent scenes, but the one where she can see Dorothy in her crystal ball. That really creeped me out, that someone miles away could see her.

The Thursday Threesome folks also ask:

So...what TV themes are your favorites? Did you like the actual shows, or just the theme songs? Also, were there any themes that you could not stand?

Let me tell you about that. From 1969, when I got my own cassette recorder, until about 1984, I collected my favorite television theme songs and even musical exerpts from favorite shows. I have eight and a half half hours of nothing but TV themes on cassette. Because I also watched reruns, I have themes on tape such as the original closing theme to Fury, the original theme to Daktari (not the African-drums sounding one), plus things like the cast of The Mothers in Law doing "There's Gonna Be a Wedding," Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard singing "Down the Drain" from the same series, etc. Also theme songs from selected TV movies like The Last Giraffe. I never watched the movie, but I still love the theme song, "Now I Know Where I Belong."

In fact, every September I would make a list of all the new shows and listen to all their theme songs. I would check off if I didn't like it and was not going to record it or that I liked it and would record it, or if I had to listen to it again. This is how I ended up taping songs to series I never watched, but loved the songs: "Everybody Needs Friends," for instance, from 13 Queens Boulevard (anyone remember that one?). Usually it would take one or two listens to make me decide if I wanted to keep a song. The song I fell for the fastest (it wasn't even done when I decided I had to record it)--the instrumental theme to Spencer's Pilots, another forgotten series, I'm sure.

Favorites? I'm sure I'm going to forget some, but, besides the songs mentioned above, "Believe It or Not" (Greatest American Hero), Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, and "Makin' Our Dreams Come True" (Laverne and Shirley).

And all the theme songs to Lassie, of course. :-)