Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, September 24, 2003
EarthLink

We've been with these folks (well, originally with Mindspring) for 12 years, and in all those years I've never had a bad word to say about them.

Right now my attitude is "Earthlink sucks."

I called them about the neverending spambot, and their attitude boiled down is "We can't do anything." I have talked to people that have other ISPs. When this spam explosion happened, they called them and their ISPs put filters at the server level, either to not accept attachments at all or to reject attachments over a certain size. Earthlink says they can't deal with accounts at an individual level.

I then told them what I had done in Eudora. Sunday night, in about a four hour time slot (not working all four hours), I worked out filters for all these e-mails. Even though they supposedly coming from different sources, they contain a stock subject line and sender name, or, in one instance, a phrase unique to the spam. I just told Eudora to shift any e-mails with any of these stock items into the trash. It's worked beautifully. I just don't like leaving my computer on all the time, and worse, having to have it do work it doesn't have to do.

Now, I'm professionally untrained at this type of computer work and yet I managed to work it out; why can't Earthlink add these same parameters to their known spam block definitions and do the same thing? The only way you can spam block on Earthlink is by a specific e-mail address, not by subject line or sender name, which is massively stupid.

I've thought about changing the address as well, but this is our "business" address--I can simply contact our friends and tell them we've changed our address (which I actually sorta did; I told them to use an alternate e-mail address), but we are signed up with a number of Important Things at the main address, like with VeriSign for my domain name and Yahoo for the domain space itself and I wouldn't know where to begin to go about changing them.

Dammit.