Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, September 04, 2003
Awaiting That Christmasy Feeling

(I'm depressed...I can't help it. I always wish for Christmas when I'm depressed...)

I was overjoyed to hear that The Homecoming was finally arriving on DVD. It's one of my favorite Christmas movies and I wanted something a little more permanent than videotape. Every time I play one of my old collection I am reminded of the ravages time takes on magnetic media. I have a commercial VHS copy of The Homecoming, which makes the quality a little better, but I expect that to deteriorate over time as well, since my commercial VHS copy of Little House on the Prairie: "Christmas at Plum Creek" is already beginning to falter somewhat.

"Christmas at Plum Creek" and another holiday episode, "A Christmas They Never Forgot," are both on DVD, but each paired with another episode I wasn't interested in. I could take or leave "A Christmas They Never Forgot" anyway, since the anachronisms bother me, but "Plum Creek" is rather a favorite--think Little House meets O'Henry--and I might have bought the DVD this year nevertheless if I hadn't seen "A Little House on the Prairie Christmas" listed on Deep Discount DVD: this set has both episodes. (I'm amused to note I couldn't find a pic of the DVD cover on either of the "big" sites--DDD or even Amazon.com--this link is a distributor I've never heard of.)

Wishlist of other great holiday movies/specials that should be on DVD: The House Without a Christmas Tree (perhaps on a double bill with its sequel The Thanksgiving Treasure), the marvelous Ed Asner/Maureen Stapleton film The Gathering, Chuck Jones' A Very Merry Cricket (maybe we could have a Chester-the-cricket set, with the delightful, original Cricket in Times Square and the rather forced Bicentennial sequel Yankee Doodle Cricket?), John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together, and the Geraldine Page version of Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory.