Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, August 28, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Health- A loved one dies unexpectedly. You're the next of kin. Do you donate whatever organs are useful, or does the idea freak you out? Should someone have planned ahead?

Sure I'd donate their organs if they could be useful to someone. As much as we become attached to the flesh that is around someone, that flesh does not really constitute that person. When someone dies, the person that you knew is gone. The body was just a vehicle to help the person interact with the world. Yes, the idea is a tiny bit creepy because we tend to associate the body with the "soul" of the person, as it were, but that's just the way we've been brought up.

Twosome: Wealth- Your beloved Great Aunt Fern dies and leaves you two million dollars (after taxes!). But there's a catch. You have to spend it all in 24 hours. Buying stocks and bonds doesn't count and there's a $500,000 limit on a new home. You may give some of the money to charity, but don't use it as a cheat to make it work out. How would you spend the money?

Good heavens, you haven't seen house prices in the Northeast, have you? $250,000 near any city will get you only a little crackerbox these days. If you wanted a nice home "with all the trimmings" and some land around it, you might have to spend a lot more than that. I mean, I want a built in vacuum system, one of those air purifiers, good insulation in the attic, and real plaster walls, not that #$!#$ drywall. But chancing that we could get what we wanted for $500,000, I guess I'd buy James that jet he's always drooling about and maybe a Hummer. I still just want a PT cruiser, hardwood floors, a big satellite dish, a plasma-screen TV, a library with built-in bookcases, and as many books and DVDs as I can get home.

Oh, and I wanna call Dell and say, "What's the best computer you got?" With the largest hard drive, and all the trimmings.

Threesome: Happiness- John F. Kennedy defined happiness as "The full use of your powers along lines of excellence." What is your definition of happiness? Have you attained it?

To be surrounded by those I love and not be stressed out. No, I haven't achieved it yet. I still work in Government procurement.