Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, August 21, 2003
Thursday Threesome: One Trick Pony

Onesome: One- One thing that's being bandied about a bit in the communications press is the ongoing replacement of land line phones with cell phones. Hmmm... Have you ever considered dropping your wired phone and living a wireless existence?

Nope, because we're connected to the internet via DSL. And the internet's a hell of a lot more interesting than a cell phone.

Twosome: Trick- Okay, everyone one should know at least one magic trick. Do you have one? ...or is there one you really, really wish you knew how it worked?

I guess I'm not a super curious person. I like watching magic tricks--one of my favorite TV shows as a kid was Mark Wilson's The Magic Land of Allakazam, and I've read about how they are done and how to do simple ones. Yeah, I wonder how Seigfried and Roy make the tiger vanish, but I don't particularly burn to know.

Threesome: Pony- Admit it: did you want a pony as a kid? Still do? Never liked them? Nah, we know better <g>! ...and did you ever have your picture taken on one?

I've always heard about this "take your picture on a pony" for your birthday...must be a "med-i-gone" thing--Italian kids didn't do that. And you had relatives at your birthday party, not just kids.

Of course I wanted a pony. Almost all little girls want ponies. The idea that you can get on one and gallop away as fast as you can go is enormously appealing. On the other hand, as a little girl I was taken to the pony ride at Roger Williams Park and had to get off the pony because I was afraid of heights. Even that little thing was too high off the ground for me. We had a tiny backyard--where would Daddy put a stable? The field across the street was used as an outdoor gym location for the junior high school, so I couldn't have galloped a pony there. It would have hurt the pony's feet to walk too much on concrete and asphalt. Plus Daddy worked in a factory. We couldn't afford a second car, let alone a pony, shoeing and hay.

And finally, I read about how much work it was to groom, curry, pick out hoofs, and feed a pony, and to clean its tack. Trust me, I'd rather read about horses than care for one.