Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, August 19, 2003
This'n'That

I'm sure we were all relieved to learn that the "Blackout of 2003" was, so far as they know, not caused by terrorism, although al Quaeda has apparently taken credit for it. But the other day I heard a so-called "top official" say that it couldn't have been terrorism, because nothing "blew up." I hate to wake this apparently naïve soul, but there are other forms of terrorism which don't involve explosions. One of the theories is that a hacker caused the problem; it's not impossible to imagine a hacker might also be a terrorist.

While updating my web site last and this week, using three browsers to check my work to be sure of cross-browser compatibility, I've run into an ugly little scheme that advertiser-supported websites are now using to fend off people using ad-blocking software: although your link to a certain page is correct, you get a blank page with network error message that says it cannot reach the ad page that accompanies the site. So you cannot see that page in certain browsers unless you also see their lousy ad.