Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, July 31, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Three- Lucky happenings are supposed to come in threes... What else comes in triplets and trios in your experience?

Well, they always say deaths come in threes; there's currently a morbid thread on rec.arts.tv about whether Bob Hope was the beginning or end of a cycle...

Twosome: Dog- Dogs and cats...Got a preference?...and how about pedigree vs pound puppies/kittens? What do you think?

I have to confess I like dogs slighty more than cats, but if I lived in a small apartment by myself I would probably have a cat before I had a dog. However, the decision's out of my hands and into my allergy's: I'm much more allergic to cats than to dogs and could not have one. There are several dog breeds I think are attractive, especially collies, although I would not like to go through the work of keeping the latter's coat looking nice and a scruffy collie is a truly sad sight, so I will never have one. However, "pound puppies" and kitties are just as good as purebreds. Rudd Weatherwax, the trainer of Lassie, once said "The best dog in the world is the one you own yourself," and it matters not where it came from.

I do tend to favor prick-ear dogs over floppy eared ones, however.

Threesome: Night- Hey, do you ever do a Sports Night and head out to watch a local team/event? What draws you out? Is it baseball, football, hockey, racing, lacrosse?

Sports? I hate team sports. It all seems so useless. We got free tickets to a Braves game once: seats up in the nosebleed section of the old Fulton County Stadium. I think we were six rows from the very top. The field looked like a postage stamp. I couldn't even tell the Braves from the other team. I'm sooooo glad I brought a book! Baseball is best on the radio, football only interesting on Thanksgiving and New Year's for nostalgia's sake (it reminds me of my dad and my uncles). If I had to watch a team sport it would probably be hockey.

The only sports we make an effort to go out to see are dog agility contests and obedience shows at the nearby park. I've gone to horse races and to the dog track; that's not too bad to watch, but greyhound racing has put me off ever since I read how the dogs are treated.