Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, June 17, 2003
Well, here's a new one:

This or That Tuesday

1. Newspapers or magazines?

Magazines.

2. Books-on-tape or regular books?

Regular books.

3. Paperback or hardcover?

Paperbacks. Hardcovers are too expensive. I only buy Madeleine L'Engle in hardback, although occasionally I will make an exception. I bought the fourth and fifth "Adept" books in hardcover because I simply couldn't wait for the paperback version. I got a good deal on He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters when it came out; had to grab it because I simply had to find out what happened with Nefret and Ramses. And of course I will be buying Where The Truth Lies when it's released on June 24.

4. Fiction or non-fiction?

Hard to choose. Whatever suits my fancy. I love history books.

5. Sci-Fi/Fantasy or romance novels?

Sci-fi fantasy. Went on a romance binge a couple of years ago, then got rid of what small collection I had, except for Laura Hayden's books.

6. Borrow from library or buy books (either new or used)?

Mostly buy. I have been going to the library for some of the regular mysteries I read. I realized several months back that I was not going to go back to read any of my Anne Perry or Sue Henry books, for example, and gave them to the library, which now gets them. I put the new ones on reserve when they come out.

7. Subscribe to magazines or buy on newsstand?

I get the decorating magazines on the newstand because I only buy one or two and not always the same ones. (I usually buy more in fall and winter because I'm not interested in "that airy summer look." Heck, I'm not interested in summer, period.) I subscribe to Reminisce because it's so damn hard to find on the newstand.

8. Current best-sellers or classic literature?

Hmn. Probably neither. I hate most current best-sellers. They seem to be either about sex or someone getting physically or mentally abused. I like mysteries (Anne Perry, Laurien Berenson, Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody books, Susan Conant) and also well-written childrens/young adult books, like the "History Mysteries."

9. Read books once, or re-read favorites every so often?

Definitely re-read favorites every so often. I just reread Addie Pray and Red Sky at Morning last week.

10. Here in the U.S., we have two hot best-sellers...former First Lady Hillary Clinton's memoirs, and the new Harry Potter book (coming out June 21). If you had to read one, which one...Hillary or Harry? Why?

Harry. Politicians are all pond scum. Who wants to read one of their books?