Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, June 05, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Rice- Okay, what's the preference at your place at dinner time, rice or potatoes? ...or something else? Hmmm?

I have to choose? I love rice, especially in chicken soup, but Yukon Gold potatoes are fine, too. At restaurants I usually stick with the baked potato. Restaurants most often offer a rice pilaf which I find too greasy.

Twosome: Krispies- ...and how about breakfast? If you're a cereal person, what is your favorite? ...or is there something else you'd prefer to start your day with?

The thing I prefer to start my day with is a later rising time. Barring that, the breakfast buffet at Golden Corral. I usually have AlphaBits at work. But my favorite cereal is Special K...

Threesome: Treats- Has anyone not seen "Finding Nemo"? What treat did you have to buy (or slip in) for it to be a "Theatre Experience"?

I haven't seen Nemo. I've never been much interested in fish. Maybe it was going to the stinky fish market every Friday as a kid and having to eat the horrible stuff later in the day. For it to be a "Theatre Experience" there must be popcorn--even if it does make me sick if I don't take it with a Pepto Bismol chaser. SnowCaps are cool, too.

Another interesting question on the site (relating to my answer for #2):

Sleep: How many hours a night do you get? Aim for? Is it undisturbed, and if not, what disturbs your slumber? Have you ever suffered from insomnia, and what helps you when it arrives? What about the other parts of "sleep"...room temperature, blankets, jammies (or lack of), and bedtimes versus wake up times...

Ah, sleep, the question of the day. Mom asks, "Why don't you go to bed earlier?" Sigh. Because I'm simply not sleepy before eleven o'clock. She ought to know; I was the baby that would have napped all day and played all night. I've been a night owl forever; I'd be totally comfortable with a bedtime of one a.m. and a wake-up hour of nine a.m. My big problem is that I get my best, soundest sleep between six and eight a.m. Guess when I have to get up during the week. Getting up later, which I did for one horrible summer, is not an option: after seven the traffic gets even more horrendous than it is at 6:30. So during the week I'm a grumpy goof with an average of about five hours sleep. I'm attempting to keep myself better hydrated these days, so the night usually has one bathroom break. Then there are the thunderstorms, the summer's inevitable tornado siren, and, a perennial "favorite," the dog barking frantically at the feral cats mating and fighting in the back yard. (And the occasional power failure where the quiet actually awakens me: I'm used to sleeping to the lullaby of the ceiling fan, air purifier, and James' breathy C-PAP machine.)

I like to sleep "covered up" both summer and winter, so a cool bedroom is a must. This explains why A/C is so desirable (add to the fact we're on the second floor of a house under an attic without insulation). The house is at 80 degrees all day in the summer, but a cool 70 at night. In the winter we keep the vents closed upstairs except in the bathrooms; it's usually just right from the heat that seeps up from downstairs. I wear flannel in the winter, and skin in the summer.