Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, May 02, 2003
Friday Five

1. Name one song you hate to admit you like.

Due to persistent ribbing, you mean? Darn. There are probably a lot I'd get ribbed about. I remember one that was my dad's favorite, "The Men in My Little Girl's Life." (Another response, in fact, for question 2.) Judging by posts in the music newsgroups, the answer might be "Him"--since from my POV this "lightweight little song" brings back the best of memories: a job that was, while not challenging, fairly well-liked with friendly co-workers; a time when I was working full time and still living at home, going to New York twice a year, jaunting occasionally to Boston and reveling in bookstores and camera-copies of Dr. Who and Blake's 7, one that brings back memories of spring Sundays in Newport and driving with the windows open.

2. Name two songs that always make you cry.

"The Way We Were" and Rupert Holmes' "The Old School."

3. Name three songs that turn you on.

Um, turn me on how? This could be embarrassing... If we're talking "Bolero"-type turn-on, "Morning Man" will certainly do it.

4. Name four songs that always make you feel good.

Hm. Now we're back to flashback music, I think...so "Him." And the theme song to Mannix. Any of the background music to the Timmy episodes of Lassie. And, unashamedly, "God Bless America" (Kate Smith version, of course).

5. Name five songs you couldn't ever do without.

Name any five Christmas songs...LOL. (Well, there I'd get picky, too: no hard rock, rap, hip-hop or whatever this modern idiocy is called.) Lots of choices left: Bruce Mitchell's version of "Joy To the World," Richard Carpenter's "Holly and the Ivy," Nancy Wilson singing "The Christmas Waltz," anyone singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and of course "Der Bingle" performing "White Christmas" (the last two qualifying for Question 2 as well...).