Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, March 27, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Lights- Did you watch the lights of Hollywood at the Academy Awards the other night?...and were you surprised by any of the winners...or did you spend the evening doing something else?

Awards? There was an awards show the other night? Seriously, we changed channels just in time to hear Steve Martin joke about the Teamsters stuffing Michael Moore into the trunk of his car (And good riddance had it been true. Michael Moore has a right to his opinion about the War in Iraq. But let him shell out his own cash for his own forum rather than being that worst form of slime, a User of someone else’s event.) and then went on. I was disappointed that Lilo & Stitch didn’t win; Spirited Away sounds downright depressing despite the good reviews. But otherwise I really didn’t care.

Twosome: Camera- Do you enjoy photography? ...and do you take pictures for your web site if you have one? Hmmm... Digital or film? Inquiring minds and all that...

All the time. Have albums of pictures and a CD-R full as well. Bought a digital camera after I messed up the main (30-70) lens on my Pentax and realized no one sold regular lenses anymore (at least at the stores I could afford). The Pentax still wasn’t working correctly anyway; I’d had the shutter fixed several months earlier and it was boggling at the fastest shutter speeds again (half the picture would be shaded because the shutter wasn’t opening properly). Love the digital camera. Miss my telephoto lens, though. Have many photos up on the website--check ‘em out.

Threesome: Action- For some, March Madness has begun. Have you succumbed to the action of the basketball tournament, or are you immune to the madness and just waiting for regular programming to resume?

Let me be succinct about this. I hate, hate, hate team sports, especially professional team sports, okay? Baseball is boring except on the radio. In the summer baseball on the radio is vaguely comforting; it reminds me of my dad and my godfather. Football is okay only on Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, not because I’m interested in it, but because it brings back warm memories of uncles at family gatherings. Hockey is slightly watchable. But basketball...God, I loathe basketball. I can’t remember how many episodes of Get Smart I missed because of those stupid Saturday night Providence College basketball games. (My parents went bowling on Saturday nights and I had to ask the guys behind the counter if I could watch their TV. They were usually nice about it...except when those nasty games were on.) And all the episodes of Dr. Simon Locke that were pre-empted that spring of 1973 due to the wretched playoffs. Not to mention joined-in-progress (after fifty million commercials, of course) episodes of Star Trek: the Next Generation and Babylon 5 and...

The thought of basketball makes me very, very mean.