Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, February 21, 2003
Thursday Threesome: the Late Edition

Onesome: New- Hey, it's close enough to spring (even though the East Coasters have been getting hammered) to ask what's on the "to do" list for March. Do you have plans for changing anything around in your home or apartment? ...or are you ready to just get out of the place once the weather clears?

Ideally I’d like to change things. It’s the prep work that makes it hard. For instance, I’m dying to redecorate the kitchen and hall bath, but that involves removing the wallpaper first. However easy chemicals can make it--DIF and cheap fabric softener having been recommended for removing wallpaper and the resultant glue--even the small wall area looks daunting. (Not to mention I worry about any fumes around the budgie.) Also would like to “do something” with our bedroom. It was thrown together seven years ago and hasn’t improved in the least. A closet organizer would be nice; we have just the thing picked out at Lowe’s. Again, it’s getting it home and getting it in...

Twosome: Paint- ...any refurbishing or refinishing projects just waiting for the warm weather? That trim that needs painting or that one room with that horrible carpet? ...or do you have something you just dream about doing?

What needs doing is the porch. It needs to be sanded and painted. We have the paint, we have the sanders, we have the primer. All we need is the “go” to get it done. We wanted to do it when it was cool. We have little use for working outside when it’s too warm to breathe, especially with the mosquitoes doing a war dance around us.

Threesome: Smell- ...and lest we forget the gardeners out there: what spring madness do you have planned in the plant world? New flowers for the windowsill? How about that garden where the snails took over last year? ...or does a quick dusting of the artificial ficus cover you for another year?

I’d dust the ficus. I hate yard work. I despise yard work. I loathe yard work. (Have I made my point yet?) Add to that an equal dislike of insects and the fact that, as “the mister” puts it, “If it’s green and it’s growing, she’s allergic to it.” (I have to trim the grass with a mask on, which makes it very hard to breathe.). And I’m afraid of worms. (I know all the logical things about worms: they are harmless fellas who are actually good for the soil because their holes aerate your soil. Their little wiggly slimy bodies still make me queasy. I hate spring rainstorms...)

I told James that the moment he made more money, I wanted to hire someone to cut the lawn. I don’t need the Scott’s Miracle-Gro man coming around every two weeks with fertilizers and aerators and all that nonsense. I just want someone with a lawn mower and “weedeater” to keep it cut and trimmed. Period. Screw it. It’s a lawn, not a baby.