Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, February 16, 2003
Be My Valentine...

At the least we always go out and eat for Valentine's Day, but the choice seemed hard to make this year. It's gotten to the point where, although we love the more expensive places that serve things we don't eat often, we start thinking that once it's eaten, it's gone. You had a nice two hours and now you're out $40 and all you have to show for it is...well, to put it delicately, a trip to the bathroom.

And, as the week wore on, I kept envisioning waiting interminably behind all those other folks who treated themselves to dinner as well. It seemed so ... crowded.

Valentine's Day this year coincided with my compressed day (I work 9 hours a day and have 1 day every two weeks off) and on Thursday night I had an idea. My mom had sent us some money and I'd also bought myself one of the thrice-yearly Small Room Decorating magazines and come upon a story about how one didn't have to always eat in a dining room.

"The Mister" came home to find our own private "bistro." I had bought one of those small, decorated cookies at the mall, then stopped at Ryan's on the way home to order two T-bone steaks to go and stowed them in the fridge until dinnertime. In the meantime, I covered one of those little decorative tables (the ones with the three legs you screw in) with a cloth, set it for two, and put it with two of the kitchen chairs in front of the living room fireplace. Turned on the gas log, put a classical CD in the stereo, set our gifts to each other on the hearth, and poof, romantic dinner for two.