Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, January 30, 2003
Thursday Threesome

Echoes: What sound do you hear from time to time that immediately draws up an echo from the past?

This will sound silly...but the theme song from Mannix. My parents used to watch the series, but I wasn't allowed to stay up that late during the school year (Mannix was broadcast 10 p.m. Saturday nights). The first time we ever went away for vacation (other times we just went to my aunt's), we went to Lake George, New York, and stayed at the Fort Gage Motel, one of those motels that had the little "cabins." I was eleven years old and it was the first time I'd ever been in any kind of hotel or motel that I remembered (we'd been to Florida when I was three, but I don't remember anything about the trip except sweating a lot on the train). That night I was allowed to stay up past ten and watch Mannix. Ever since then the theme song--I still hear it used on TV promos and commercials--can take me right back to 1968, sitting in front of that TV at the Fort Gage Motel.

The other song is Rupert Holmes' "Him." When I hear it I am in the back seat of our car, driving down Tower Hill Road, heading for South County.

Visions: ...and what about something you might see now and again that evokes a scene from days gone by?

Any black and white rerun of Lassie. [wry grin] I remember when a glass of Hood's milk, a Hershey's semi-sweet bar (they call ‘em "Special Darks" now), and an episode of Timmy and Lassie could solve just about any problem you had.

Memories: "Misty water color memories"? Is there a painting or a picture you like to look back on just to remember a certain time or place?

All it takes is a glimpse of the skylines of Boston, Providence, or New York... (I used to watch Providence just to see the cityscapes, but the plotlines just got too stupid. It wasn't worth watching 45 minutes of Sydney Hansen being tortured yet again for one minute of the Industrial Trust Building.) (Yeah, I know it's the Fleet Building now. Sheesh. Sounds like an enema.)